This post is also available in: Français
The Belgian government, through the Flemish Ministry of Education, has announced the opening of applications for the Master Mind scholarships program for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The scholarships will be offered to outstanding international students for master’s programs in Flanders or Brussels. The Master Mind program aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a leading study destination.
The Flemish Region is one of the three regions of federal Belgium (the other two being the Brussels-Capital Region and the Walloon Region), occupying the northern part of the country.
About Master Mind Scholarships
DEADLINE: varies by university (see below).
FUNDING: €8,400 per year.
OPEN TO : All nationalities.
Region: Flanders and Brussels.
Amount of the scholarship
The Master Mind scholarship amounts to €8,400 for the 2022-2023 academic year and €8,400 for the 2023-2024 academic year if an application has been submitted for a two-year master’s program.
The scholarship is paid in three installments:
- A first installment of €4,000 before the start of the academic year in July 2022. The student can request to be paid the first installment on his bank account in his country of origin (outside Europe).
- A second payment of €3,000 is transferred at the end of the first semester.
- A final payment of €1,400 is transferred at the end of the first academic year.
Who can apply for the Master Mind scholarships?
All nationalities can apply, except students graduating from a Flemish higher education institution and students currently enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution.
The last diploma obtained must come from a higher education establishment located outside Flanders. The student must apply and be accepted by a host institution in Belgium to be able to receive the scholarship.
In addition to these criteria, the candidate must have an excellent academic background. This means a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 out of 4.0 minimum. A good knowledge of the English language is required.
How to apply for Master Mind scholarships?
Like the Eiffel scholarships from the French government, the Master Mind scholarships from the Belgian government are also nomination-based. No separate form to fill out. If your application turns out to be interesting, the university which accepted you will nominate you.
To apply, follow the steps below:
STEP 1: Submit your application for a master’s program of your choice from one of the host institutions listed below.
STEP 2: In case you are preselected, the host institution will initiate the application process for the Master Mind scholarships on your behalf by creating an application account in the Mobility-Online application tool.
STEP 3: You receive an email generated by the Mobility-Online tool notifying you that you have been pre-selected for a Master Mind scholarship.
STEP 4: You register in the Mobility-Online tool and complete your application before the deadline.
In case of selection, the following documents will be requested:
- Identity photo (passport format).
- Passport or national identity card.
- English test results or exemption letter provided by the host university.
- Cover letter written in English.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors at your home (former) university, or from your recent employer, written in English.
- Copy of the acquired diploma (s); if it is written in a language other than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be attached.
Host universities and deadlines
Below is a list of host institutions as well as the deadlines to apply for a master’s program:
University of Antwerp:
- Deadline : March 1, 2022 (will open January 18, 2022).
- More information
- List of Master programs
- Apply here.
Vrije Universiteit Brussel :
AP University of Applied Sciences and Arts:
Erasmus Brussels University of Applied Sciences and Arts:
HOGENT University of Applied Sciences and Arts:
KdG University of Applied Sciences and Arts:
LUCA School of Arts:
PXL University of Applied Sciences and Arts:
You have a question ? Please contact the university offering the program. They will be happy to provide you with the information requested.