This post is also available in: Français
Every year, CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, welcomes students from around the world for a period of 8 to 13 weeks. These students will have the opportunity to collaborate on advanced technical projects within an experimental or engineering team. CERN covers the majority of the candidates’ expenses. The deadline to apply for the CERN Summer School is January 31, 2024.
During the CERN Summer School, participants will have the chance to attend a series of specially prepared lectures. Experts and scientists from around the world will share their knowledge on a variety of topics in theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering, and computer science. Program activities will include visits to CERN facilities, discussion sessions, and workshops.
CERN is one of the world’s largest scientific research organizations. Founded in 1954, CERN is located on the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland. It is renowned for its major contributions to particle physics and for being the birthplace of the World Wide Web.
A summer school is an intensive educational program that typically takes place during the summer months. These programs provide participants, often university students, with the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in a specific field, acquire new skills, and participate in interactive learning activities.
DEADLINE: January 31, 2024.
TYPE: Summer school.
DURATION: 8 to 13 weeks.
FUNDING: Full coverage.
TARGET GROUP: All nationalities.
Benefits of the CERN Summer School
In addition to the experience and lectures, CERN will provide you with:
- An association contract of 8 to 13 weeks to work on a technical project.
- A subsistence allowance of 92 CHF per calendar day (net of taxes) for a single person throughout the contract duration.
- A lump-sum travel allowance paid at the end of your stay to help with travel expenses between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health insurance scheme.
- Assistance in finding accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
To be eligible for a place in the CERN Summer School 2024, you must meet the following criteria:
- Student Status: You must be a bachelor’s or master’s student (not PhD) in physics, engineering, computer science, or mathematics. You should have completed at least six semesters of full-time studies at the university level by the European Summer 2024.
- Continuous Student Enrollment: You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. You are also eligible if you expect to graduate during the European summer 2024 (from May).
- No Previous CERN Work Experience: You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User, or other status) for more than three months. Additionally, you have not been a Summer Student at CERN in the past.
- English Proficiency: A good knowledge of English is required, and knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Open to All Nationalities: Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for the CERN Summer School 2024.
To complete your application optimally for the CERN Summer School 2024, please provide the following documents, carefully labeled (e.g., “CV,” “Motivation letter,” “Academic transcript,” etc.) and in PDF format:
- Copy of your most recent Academic Transcript, providing an overview of your performance.
- Two Mandatory Recommendation Letters (dated less than 12 months), from your teachers and/or previous internships.
Make sure you have all the required documents at hand from the beginning of your application. It will not be possible to add them once the procedure is completed (only recommendation letters can be submitted later).
How to Apply for the CERN Summer School 2024?
To submit your application for the CERN Summer School 2024, please complete this online form. After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation email with a link. If you have not yet uploaded your recommendation letters during your application, please share this link with at least one referee so they can upload their recommendation letter.
The deadline to apply and submit recommendation letters is January 31, 2024.