This post is also available in: Français
International students can now apply for the doctoral scholarship program of the Normal Superior School of Pisa, Italy. Various doctoral positions have been announced for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Positions are open to international students in the fields of ancient languages and literatures, Italian language and literature, philosophy and logic, history, art history, archeology, fundamental and applied mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology, sociology, political science and IT. Selection is based on the academic assessment of applicants and on interviews.
The Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa (SNS) is an Italian public higher education institution with two campuses in Pisa and Florence. She has given Italy three Nobel Prizes and several President’s of the Republic Prizes.
Its students come from a very selective competition. The university ranks second among Italian universities according to the «Times Higher Education 2022».
About the Scuola Normale Superiore scholarships
DEADLINE : March 7, 2022 (Pisa campus), August 25, 2022 (Florence campus).
LEVEL : PhD.
FUNDING : Fully funded.
TARGET GROUP : All nationalities.
HOST COUNTRY : Italy.
Scuola Normale Superiore scholarships advanatges
All students admitted to a doctoral program receive a scholarship, including accommodation. Students are also entitled to free meals on school premises.
Payment of registration fees is not required, and the regional tax for the right to study is refunded to students (60 euros per year). All students are entitled to additional funding for their research activities, even if they are carried out abroad.
Applicants will be entitled to a reimbursement of the return air ticket up to a maximum of 1000 euros.
The following candidates, regardless of their nationality, can apply:
- Those who obtained a master’s degree in Italy or an equivalent diploma abroad before October 31, 2022.
- Those born after October 31, 1990.
- Have no previous criminal charges resulting in a jail term of more than three years.
- Have not been subject to the disciplinary exclusion order at his home institution.
- Do not hold a research doctorate issued by an Italian university.
- Have never received a scholarship to follow a doctoral research course in Italy;
Admission interviews can be conducted in Italian or English.
Eligible fields and number of scholarships
The Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa scholarships are open to studies in the fields below:
- Philosophy: 5 scholarships.
- Italian Studies and Modern Philology: 5 scholarships.
- Classics: 6 purses.
- Art history: 5 grants.
- History: 5 scholarships.
- Physics: 6 scholarships.
- Mathematics: 6 scholarships.
- Calculation methods and mathematical models for science and finance: 7 scholarships.
- Methods and models for molecular sciences: 4 grants.
- Nanosciences: 7 grants.
- Neurosciences: 5 scholarships.
- Political science and sociology: 10 scholarships.
- Transnational governance: 4 scholarships.
How to apply?
The application must be registered online via the electronic procedure dedicated to the call on the SNS website at https://www.sns.it/en/phd-admission-competition before Monday, March 7, 2022 11.59pm (CET).
In the electronic application, applicants must indicate the course—or courses for which they intend to apply.
You must attach the following documents in PDF format to the application:
- A copy of the passport.
- A curriculum vitae written in the format Europass-CV.
- A copy of the diploma.
- The master’s thesis.
- A copy of any publication.
- The research project including an abstract.
Submission of applications :
- Faculty of Human Sciences: March 7, 2022.
- Faculty of Sciences and Political and Social Sciences: March 1, 2022 (spring session) and August 25, 2022 (fall session).
- Faculty of Human Sciences : From March 29 to April 8, 2022.
- Faculty of Sciences and Political and Social Sciences :0 from March 21 to April 21, 2022 (spring session), from September 14 to September 30, 2022 (fall session).
For more details on the Pisa Normal School doctoral scholarships, please contact : [email protected].