Applications for the Gates Scholarships (TGS) program are now open for the academic year 2023-2024. Every year, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awards 300 students who intend to study in the United States.
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households. This prestigious scholarship program is based on evidence that by eliminating the financial barriers to college, a last-dollar scholarship can enable high-potential, low-income minority students to excel in their course work, graduate college, and continue to be leaders throughout their lives.
In addition to funding, The Gates Scholarship will provide support to scholars, by engaging with them and their institutions in a variety of ways, to ensure they have access to the resources and services they need, from their first to last day of classes, through graduation and the transition to their chosen careers.
About the Gates Scholarships
LEVEL : Bachelor.
DEADLINE : September, 15, 2022.
FINANCING : Last dollar scholarship.
OPEN TO : US citizen, national, or permanent resident.
Financial advantages of the Gates scholarships
Gates scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
The cost of attendance covered by the Gates scholarship includes : Tuition, fees, room, Bboard, books, transportation, and may include other personal costs.
Eligibility for the Gates Scholarships
To be eligible for the Gates scholarship, you need to be :
- A high school senior.
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American,
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident.
- A minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent).
Besides these criteria, an ideal candidate the Gates Scholarships program must shows :
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class).
- Leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities).
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.).
The candidate must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
How to apply to the Gates Scholarship
Those who wish to apply, must create an account (myTGS Profile) on the Gates scholarships website and follow the required steps.
The myTGS Profile is your portal for everything related to the Gates Scholarship. This includes the application, and – if selected as a Scholar – all associated support services, such as mentoring; academic support; career and internship guidance, advice, and opportunities; financial literacy; and more.
Online applications are open from July 15, 2022, to September 15, 2022. The sixth scholarship cohort will be selected in April 2023, with awards disbursed in the July-September 2023.
Students will need to upload the following documents, which will be requested at various points during the application process.
- A copy of his/her most recent transcript(s) (submitted by counselor).
- Student Aid Report (SAR), once the FAFSA has been completed.
- Financial Aid Award Letter.
- Letter of admission to a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a not-for-profit, private or public university.
- Headshot photo.
The deadline to apply for the Gates Scholarships (TGS) is set to be September, 15, 2022.
You can contact the scholarships board here : https://www.thegatesscholarship.org/contact-us
READ MORE :