- DEADLINE : From July 15 to Sept 15 2021
- OPEN TO : US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- FINANCING : Fully Funded
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) Program applications for the academic year 2021-2022 are now open. Every year, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awards 300 students who intend to study in the United States.
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households. Each year, the scholarship is awarded to 300 of these student leaders, with the intent of helping them realize their maximum potential.
If you are not familiar with the term “last-dollar” scholarship, it is simply a program designed to eliminate unmet need, or the gap between a student’s costs and his (already) available (or if it exists) financial resources.
In addition to funding, The Gates Scholarship will provide further support to Scholars, by engaging with them and their institutions in a variety of ways, to ensure they have access to the resources and services they need, from their first to last day of classes, through graduation and the transition to their chosen careers.
Before you proceed, please do remember, the Gates scholarship is a very competitive program.
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
The cost of attendance covered by the Gates scholarship includes :
- and may include other personal costs.
Eligibility for Gates Scholarship
To be eligible for the Gates scholarship, you need to be :
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American,
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident,
- A minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent).
Besides these criteria, an ideal candidate for this program must shows :
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class).
- Leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities).
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.).
The candidate must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
How to apply to the Gates Scholarship
Those who wish to apply, must create an account – called myTGS Profile – on the Gates scholarship official website and follow the required steps.
The myTGS Profile is your portal for everything related to the Gates Scholarship. This includes the application, and – if selected as a Scholar – all associated support services, such as mentoring; academic support; career and internship guidance, advice, and opportunities; financial literacy; and more, for the life of the scholarship.
Online applications are open from (today) July 15, 2021, to September 15, 2021. The fifth scholarship cohort will be selected in April 2022, with awards disbursed in the fall.
Students will need to upload the following documents, which will be requested at various points during the application process.
- A copy of his/her most recent transcript(s) (submitted by counselor).
- Student Aid Report (SAR), once the FAFSA has been completed.
- Financial Aid Award Letter.
- Letter of admission to a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a not-for-profit, private or public university.
- Headshot photo.
You find this scholarship intersting ? You may like these too :
Canada Government Scholarships Programs
Scholarships in Australia: Top 30 Best Scholarships Programs
Scholarships in Switzerland : The Ultimate Guide [Update July 2021]
Canada Government Scholarships Programs
Scholarships to finance your studies in France