This post is also available in: Français
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS), also known as the Korean Government Scholarship, is a fully funded program that offers international students the opportunity to study at top universities in Korea. GKS aims to attract talented students from over 160 participating countries.
The GKS Scholarship is a valuable opportunity for international students who are interested in studying in South Korea. It comprehensively covers various expense. Ir includes funding for a one-year Korean language course followed by a four to six-year undergraduate program.
GKS program overview
DEADLINE : differs by embassy/university.
STUDY LEVEL : Undergraduate.
FINANCING : Fully funded.
OPEN TO : 160 countries.
HOSTING COUNTRY : South Korea.
Benefits of the Global Korea Scholarships
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a fully funded scholarship program. The scholarship covers a wide range of benefits, including:
- Airfare: The scholarship will reimburse the actual cost of airfare to Korea.
- Settlement support fund: A one-time grant of KRW 200,000 (approximately $172.75) to help students with their initial expenses in Korea.
- Living expenses: A monthly allowance of KRW 900,000 to 1,000,000 (approximately $771.89 to $863.78) is provided to cover living expenses.
- Medical insurance: The scholarship covers the cost of medical insurance.
- Language course: A language course grant of KRW 1,000,000 (approximately $863.78) is provided to help students improve their Korean language skills.
- Tuition fee: The scholarship covers up to KRW 5,000,000 (approximately $4,318.90) per semester in tuition fees for the duration of the program.
- Korean language proficiency: A monthly stipend of KRW 100,000 (approximately $86.38) is provided to students who achieve a high level of Korean language proficiency.
- Research fund: A research fund of KRW 210,000 to 240,000 (approximately $182.75 to $199.16) per semester is provided to students who are conducting research.
- Thesis printing fee: The scholarship covers the cost of thesis printing.
- Repatriation preparation fund: A one-time grant of KRW 100,000 (approximately $86.38) is provided to help students with their travel expenses when they return home.
The following are the eligibility requirements for the GKS program:
- Age: Applicants must be under the age of 25 as of March 1st of the selection year.
- Education: Applicants must have completed (or be expected to complete) the entire curriculum of primary, secondary, and high school education by March 1st of the selection year.
- Nationality: Applicants must hold citizenship of NIIED designated countries (PDF, page 4 and 6).
- Citizenship: Both the applicant and their parents must be foreigners. Dual citizens with Korean nationality will not be recognized as foreigners.
- Health: Applicants must be in good physical and mental health, capable of studying in South Korea for an extended period.
- GPA: Applicants must have a final year GPA (G.P.A.) of 80% or higher.
- Previous Study in South Korea: Individuals currently enrolled in or graduated from a university or graduate school in South Korea are not eligible. However, former government-invited scholarship students with a final year GPA of 90% or higher and TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) level 5 or higher may apply for reapplication through the embassy or university track (limited to one time).
GKS Fields of Study
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is open to all fields of study offered by participating universities. However, it does not cover evening (night school), short-term, online, or distance learning programs
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) program offers international students the opportunity to study at over 57 universities and departments in South Korea. In fact, You can find a list of all eligible universities and departments, as well as contact information, in this Google Drive folder linked below. The folder is organized by university, making it easy to search for specific information : drive.google.com.
How to apply for the GKS program?
To apply for the Global Korea Scholarship, there are two methods: through embassies or directly through participating universities. However, it’s important to note that application submission deadlines may differ for each embassy or university. Therefore, reach out to the embassy or the university, to obtain comprehensive information about the application process. This includes essential details on application deadlines, required documents, interview requirements, and other pertinent information to ensure a successful application.
For more information, check the “2024 Global Korea Scholarship Application Guidelines for Undergraduate Degrees” here.
READ MORE :