Government of Ireland Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Scholarships
- LEVEL: Master, PhD and postdoctoral.
- Deadline: 20 October 2022.
- Financing: Fully funded.
- Open to: all nationalities.
This post is also available in: Français
Application for the government of Ireland postgraduate and postdoctoral scholarships are now open. The Government of Ireland Scholarship Programs are an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Irish Research Council.
The Government of Ireland Scholarship Programs consist of two sub-programs: the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program and the Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship Program.
These two programs support suitably qualified research master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral candidates pursuing, or intending to pursue, full-time research in any discipline.
The Government of Ireland Scholarship Programs are highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. As a Successful awardee under these programs, you are recognized as demonstrating world-class potential as a future research leader.
About the Government of Ireland Scholarship Programs
LEVEL: Master (research and structured research), PhD (traditional and structured) and postdoctoral.
DEADLINE: 20 October 2022.
FUNDING: Fully Funded.
DURATION: Duration of the applicant’s research project.
OPEN TO: All countries.
HOSTING COUNTRY: Ireland.
Benefits of the Government of Ireland Scholarships
Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program:
- A stipend of €18,500 each year;
- A contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 every year; and
- Eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 each year.
- There is no age limit.
Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship Program:
- A salary of €38,632 in the first year and €39,186 in the second year.
- Employer’s PRSI contribution.
- Eligible direct research expenses of €5,000 per year.
- There is no age limit.
An applicant can apply for funding for the full duration of the degree as listed below:
- Research Master: 1 year.
- Structured research master (what is a structured research master?): 2 years.
- Traditional doctorate: 3 years.
- Structured doctorate: 4 years.
- Postdoctoral : 1 or 2 years.
For candidates who have already done part of the degree for which they are requesting funding, the duration of the funding to be granted depends on the type of degree pursued and the date of the first registration.
Eligibility For The Government of Ireland Scholarships
To be eligible for the Irish postgraduate scholarships, you must have a first class or upper second-class honors bachelor’s, or the equivalent, degree (equal or above 60% in the percentage scale, equal or above B in the international scale). If the results of the undergraduate examinations are not known at the time of application, the Irish Research Council may make a provisional offer of scholarship.
For postdoctoral fellowships, you must have obtained your doctoral degree within the five-year period preceding May 31, 2023.
All nationalities are eligible.
Eligible research area
You are required to select a primary area from the following defined list:
- Biological Sciences;
- Computer Science;
- Earth and Environmental Sciences;
- Study of the Human Past;
- Cultures and Cultural Production;
- Individuals, Institutions, Markets, Values, Behavior the Mind and Environment;
Under each primary area, there is a defined list of disciplines to select from. Applications can be made in any discipline. Please see this document(PDF) for further descriptions of the primary areas, disciplines, and other research areas covered.
Eligible Institutions and Research Organizations
To be eligible for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship and Postdoctoral Fellowships, you must be pursuing, or intending to pursue, full-time research at one of these institutions or research Organizations:
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Coláiste Mhuire Marino
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
- Dublin Dental Hospital
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology
- Galway–Mayo Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Institute of Technology, Sligo
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- Limerick Institute of Technology
- Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
- Maynooth University
- Munster Technological University
- National College of Ireland
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Royal Irish Academy
- Royal Irish Academy of Music
- Technological University Dublin
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Dublin, Trinity College
- University of Limerick
- Waterford Institute of Technology
- Economic & Social Research Institute
- The Discovery Programme
- Marine Institute
How to apply For The Government of Ireland Scholarships?
To apply for the government of Ireland Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Scholarships, follow the steps below:
- Register on the online system and fill the form as prompted.
- Once you have filled in the required details, click “submit”. A confirmation email will be automatically sent to the email address you have provided. This email confirms that you have successfully registered and will provide you with a username and password.
- Once you have received your username and password, you should access the online system here using the login details provided.
- Follow the steps, and start creating your application.
|Call open||16:00 (Irish time) 8 September 2022|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 20 October 2022|
|Call outcome||End of March 2023|
|Award start date||1 September 2023|
For more information, you should contact the research office in your proposed institution (the list of institutions above), which will provide information and clarification on the call.
For a successful application, please do read carefully all the document provided in the official website (Application Guide, Call for Application, Terms, and Conditions…).
Take a look at these opportunities too:
Scholarships Available for 2022 for International Students
WTO Internship Program for Developing Countries
For more opportunities, follow us on Facebook.
Apply Call for Applications Official website
I don’t have upto 2nd class upper in my msc, can I apply?
Hi Emmanuel, you can try, nothing to lose anyway 🙂
Am glad to stumble upon this information and am looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.