This post is also available in: Français
Students of all disciplines and nationalities are invited to apply for the Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships in Germany.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation awards scholarships to international students for studies at the Bachelor, Master’s or PhD level. The program will award approximately 1,440 scholarships.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation aims to promote democracy and defend human rights, to take measures to prevent the destruction of the global ecosystem, to promote equality between women and men, to secure peace through conflict prevention in crisis areas and to defend the freedom of individuals against excessive state and economic power.
About the Heinrich Böll Fellowships
DEADLINE : March 1st and September 1st each year. Application portal will be opened 6 weeks before each deadline.
LEVEL : Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate.
FUNDING : Fully funded program.
NUMBER : 1,400 scholarships.
TARGET GROUP : All nationalities.
HOST COUNTRY : Germany.
The scholarship is intended for particularly gifted students from abroad and Germany. Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to the values of green politics.
Amount and benefits
The Heinrich Böll Foundation’s scholarships coverage varies according to the level and status of the student:
Third country nationals/students not attending school in Germany:
- PhD: €1,200 per month, plus €100 mobility allowance per month, plus a family allowance (if applicable) of €276.
- Master : €861 per month, plus a family allowance (if applicable) of €276.
Germans / foreign students trained in Germany / EU nationals:
- PhD : €1,350 per month, plus a research allowance of €100 per month.
- Master :€752 per month, plus a mobility allowance of €300 per month, plus €155 family allowance.
Eligibility for Heinrich Böll Fellowships
To apply for this program, the candidate must have the following profile:
- Proof of the required level of German (B2 or DSH).
- Excellent academic record.
- Social commitment and interest in politics;
- Creative (self-reflective), goal-oriented personalities with intercultural and democratic skills;
- Identification with the Foundation’s objectives;
- Responsible, motivated and reliable people who want to play an active role in the work of the foundation.
How to apply for the Heinrich Böll Scholarships?
The application portal for the Heinrich Böll Scholarships will be opened about 6 weeks before each year’s application deadline. The deadline for submission of applications is March 1st, and September 1st each year. To apply, follow these steps:
- Register when the application portal is open (February and October each year).
- Provide the requested information.
- Upload all required documents.
- Submit your application before the end of the application deadline.
A comprehensive set of application documents must be uploaded to the web portal in “pdf” format:
- Application form : Master | PhD.
- Certified copy of your most recent university degree.
- Student registration certificate (if applicable).
- Proof of proficiency in the German language.
- A third-party reference on your social commitment (1-2 pages).
- An expert reference from a university or college professor (master | PhD).
The deadline for submission of applications is March 1st, and September 1st each year. For more information about the Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships, contact: [email protected].