This post is also available in: Français
The Spanish Women for Africa Foundation launches the 8th edition of the SCIENCE BY WOMEN fellowship program for African women. The objective of the program is to enable African women researchers and scientists to address the major challenges facing Africa in the areas of: Health and Bio-medicine, Energy, Water and Climate Change, Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security.
This edition of the “Science By Women” project will involve 21 research centers throughout Spain, which will host 22 female scientists. The researchers who will obtain the grant will complete their postdoctoral stay for a period of six months in the requested center and will thus join the more than 100 women scientists who have participated in the program over the past seven years.
The duration of the research stays will be six continuous months. Nevertheless, depending on personal and professional needs, and with the agreement of the host research center, the planned research may be split into two stays to be carried out within two years of the grant being awarded.
ABOUT THE “SCIENCE BY WOMEN” FELLOWSHIP
DEADLINE: September 30 (annual).
LEVEL: Research (6 months).
FUNDING: Fully sponsored.
TARGET GROUP: African women.
HOST COUNTRY: Spain.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE “SCIENCE BY WOMEN” FELLOWSHIP
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a woman.
- Have the nationality of an African country.
- Have a PhD with at least 3 years of postdoctoral professional experience.
- Ongoing contractual relationship with a university or public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the fields indicated above.
- Excellent academic record and proven research experience.
- Strong English working knowledge.
- Proven experience in leading a research group
Candidates will be subject to a rigorous selection process, evaluating their academic merits and leadership, as well as their scientific quality and expected impact of their research projects.
The “Science by Women” program will fund six-month research fellowships in Spain. Successful applicants will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their center of origin to the host institution.
- Living allowance of 2,400 euros (excluding taxes) per month to cover housing, personal expenses and health and work accident insurance coverage.
Selected candidates will also receive training and integration into a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly competitive work team, where they will be able to develop their research projects and acquire complementary skills, allowing them to transfer their research results into tangible economic and social benefits.
In this 8th edition of the “Science By Women” fellowship program, the associated research centers are listed below. Each of these centers will host 1 senior researcher (except, ISCIII will host 2):
- BioCruces Bizkaia Health Research Institute (BC)
- Deusto Institute of Technology (DeustoTech)
- Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC)
- Vall d’Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
- Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
- Basque Center for Macromolecular Design and Engineering POLYMAT Fundazioa
- The Basque Center for Applied Mathematics – BCAM
- PLOCAN (Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands)
- IAC (Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias)
- Biomedical and Health Research Institute (IUIBS)
- Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona – ICMAB
- Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB)
- Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT)
- Centre for Genomics Regulation (CRG)
- Spanish National Center for Cardiovascular Research (CNIC)
- The Institute of Environmental Science and Technology at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (ICTA -UAB)
- Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
- Material Physics Center – (MPC-CFM)
HOW TO APPLY ?
The application deadline is September 30, 2022. Only applications submitted in English through the “Science by Women” website at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest (max. 1 page).
- A complete résumé (preferably in the Europass form).
- Completed form (available after registration).
- Short but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish hosting center (max. 2 pages). Research proposals must fall within the main research axes of the chosen center.
For more information, please contact the foundation at : [email protected]
The deadline for submitting applications remains open until September 30.
READ ALSO :