This post is also available in: Français
The University of Lausanne (UNIL), Switzerland, via its School of Biology of the Faculty of Biology and Medicine, proposes a fully funded Summer Undergraduate Research (SUR) Program for international students for the 2022 summer break.
During 8 weeks in July and August, the Summer Undergraduate Research (SUR) program hosts about 15 Bachelor (first university degree) students with both biological and medical studies background from around the world. Each participant will perform an individual research project in a different laboratory of the Faculty of Biology and Medicine. This program aims to attract outstanding and motivated students from near and far for a research experience that will remain with them for their lifetimes.
About UNIL’s Summer Undergraduate Research (SUR)
DEADLINE : January 31st, 2022
TYPE : Summer program.
OPEN TO : All nationalities.
FINANCING : Fully Funded.
HOST UNIVERSITY : University of Lausanne (UNIL).
COUNTRY : Switzerland.
Eligibility for University of Lausanne’s SUR
Students of any nationality, studying in any country, are eligible to apply, but should have very good English language skills. The program is seeking for students who are currently midway through their bachelor’s degree in any field in the life sciences, especially biological or medical field.
Applicants who have completed only one year of an undergraduate degree or currently in their last year are not eligible. Master-degree students are not eligible.
The program is highly competitive and students are chosen based upon their academic record (typically GPA >3.75 or equivalent, and/or top 5% class ranking), personal statements, and letters of recommendation.
If your university does not use a 4-point scale, then include an explanation of your grading scale in the online application (under curriculum vitae B). Differences in grading scales will be taken into consideration, but you must be in the top 5% of your class.
Amount of the Summer Undergraduate Research scholarship
As a selected candidate for UNIL’s Summer Undergraduate Research (SUR) program, you’ll have :
- Housing: Students will be housed in a furnished apartment of one of the UNIL associations, in a single room with a shared kitchen and bathroom.
- A scholarship of approximately CHF 1500 to cover other living expenses.
- Limited funds are available to cover justified costs of travel to Lausanne. In general, up to CHF 500 for European travel and CHF 1200 for overseas travel is covered.
- Assistance to all students who require visas to come to Switzerland.
Application procedure for SUR program
To be able to connect to the online application system, you must have a SWITCH edu-ID account. If you don’t have a SWITCH edu-ID account yet, create your account via the SWITCH edu-ID site. You will find the procedure step by step in this link, under letter C.
Once you have created your SWITCH edu-ID account, connect and complete the online application form available in this link https://courses.unil.ch/cours/fbm and upload your CV, copy of your official transcripts of record and two recommendation letters, all in PDF format.
The CV should not exceed one single page and should include:
- A list, starting with the most recent, of the most relevant THREE academic prizes/fellowships that you have received (max. 100 words).
- A list, starting with the most recent, of the most important THREE occupations, apart from student, in which you have engaged to any considerable extent, giving names and location of employers and dates of employment (e.g., military service or volunteer work experience) (max. 100 words)
- Any other relevant information about yourself (hobbies, skills, interests, etc.) (max. 100 words).
- Personal statement where you give your reasons for wishing to participate in the UNIL SUR Program (e.g., your academic background, scientific interests, long-term professional goals, any previous research experience and what you hope to accomplish by attending the SUR Program) (max. 400 words).
You can download the procedure guide, which will give you all the necessary indications, step by step.
Selected participants will be informed via email about 4 weeks after the application deadline. The SUR program 2022 will take place from July 4th until August 26th.