This post is also available in: Français
The Mastercard Foundation, in partnership with the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada, has issued a call for applications for its master’s scholarship program for the academic year 2024-2025. This program is exclusively for students from Sub-Saharan Africa. Interested candidates have until December 1, 2023, to submit their applications.
The Mastercard Foundation scholarship program is an ambitious initiative aimed at training the next generation of African leaders. Since its inception in 2012, the program has supported nearly 40,000 young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by providing them with quality education and personalized guidance.
The program is unique in that it goes beyond providing financial support. It also offers mentoring, leadership skills development, tutoring, internship opportunities, career counseling services, and personalized guidance throughout the duration of the program.
As for the University of British Columbia (UBC), it is a public institution located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, it is the oldest university in the province and one of the most prestigious in Canada. UBC is a leading research institution, consistently ranked among the top 20 universities in the world. The University of British Columbia has a student population of over 70,557, including 16,239 international students.
About the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at UBC
DEADLINE: December 1, 2023.
FUNDING: Full coverage.
ELIGIBLE COUNTRIES: Sub-Saharan African countries.
HOST COUNTRY: Canada.
Benefits of the Mastercard Scholarship at UBC
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of British Columbia provides full coverage of application and tuition fees, travel expenses, housing, health insurance, and a monthly stipend.
In addition to the financial aspect, recipients of this scholarship will receive personalized support throughout their academic journey, from their arrival to their final departure. In addition, students will have the opportunity to participate in a two-week intensive orientation program in Canada before the start of their studies. This initial phase aims to facilitate their integration into the new academic and cultural environment, providing them with essential tools to succeed in their transition and development within the university community.
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation program at the University of British Columbia (UBC), you must:
- Have obtained a bachelor’s degree.
- Not already hold a graduate (master’s) or doctoral degree.
- Be 35 years old or younger at the time of application (i.e., born in 1988 or later).
- Be a citizen or refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Currently reside or have lived a significant portion of your life in a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances.
- Have achieved academic excellence in challenging conditions.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities or potential.
- Show an interest and commitment to giving back to your original community.
- Be a person requiring a Canadian study permit to study in Canada.
- Not be a person who has applied for or will apply for asylum or protected person status after arriving in Canada.
- Commit to returning to Africa to apply your education and skills for the benefit of others.
Eligible countries for the Mastercard Scholarship at UBC
The following nations are eligible for the scholarship offered by the Mastercard Foundation at UBC:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Chad, Togo, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa.
Eligible Master’s programs
The following master’s programs are eligible for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at UBC. Take the time to review the website of the specific master’s program that interests you. Check the eligibility criteria carefully to ensure they apply to your case:
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Science
Application Procedure for the Mastercard Scholarship at UBC
To apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at the University of British Columbia, please follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Evaluate your eligibility by selecting your program or programs of interest from the list above. Check the program’s website to determine if you have the appropriate experience and background.
- Step 2 : If your bachelor’s degree was not conferred in English, make arrangements to take an English proficiency test (TOEFL or IELTS).
- Step 3 : Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship application form and send it, along with all required documents, to [email protected] before December 1, 2023.
- Step 4 : Pre-accepted candidates will receive an email after a few days with instructions to submit an online application to UBC.
The deadline to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at the University of British Columbia is December 1, 2023. However, the deadlines to apply for the master’s programs are as follows
- Forestry: January 11, 2024.
- Land and Food Systems: January 9, 2024.
- Science: January 9, 2024.
If you have any questions regarding the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at the University of British Columbia, please contact [email protected].
READ ALSO :